COORDONNEES

Place de la Cathédrale

73300 Saint-Jean-de-Maurienne


Tél: 04 79 83 42 12

The big bell tower

This 11th century tower was the bell tower of the Notre-Dame church.

In the 15th century a gallery was composed of four small bells and a spire taking the height of the building up to approximately 80 metres. This part was pulled down by French revolutionaries in 1794, destroying, at the same time, a part of the Notre-Dame church now separated from its bell tower by a road. The scar can still be seen on the side of the bell tower.
Its state does not allow to open it to the public, it accommodates however from time to time exhibitions since shop windows situated on the bottom.

Gallery

Informations pratiques

Surroundings

In centre of town

Town location