Périod of opening

Throughout the year : open daily from 9 AM to 6 PM.

COORDONNEES

Place de l'Eglise

73270 Arêches-Beaufort


Tél: 04 79 38 37 57

TARIFS

Free of charge

The Beaufort Church

The Baroque Church of Saint Maxime is located in the middle of the oldest district of Beaufort: Le Châtelard. Securely attached to the rock, the church is dominated by a huge square tower. Its facades contrast with the interior decoration.

From the 17th century, the population of Beaufort and surrounding hamlets were actively involved in the reconstruction of the church, which ended in the 19th century. The first church dated back to 1171. The present church with its basilica shape comprises of a large rectangular space, which includes the central nave, side aisles and choir, which is also rectangular. The vaults of the nave are leaning on a series of cross section pillars separating the aisles and supporting the galleries. The pulpit, commissioned in 1720 to Jacques Clérant, a renowned sculptor from Moûtiers, was installed in 1722. During the revolution, the rioters tried in vain to demolish the bell tower: if the steeple was destroyed, the walls were saved by the local population. Inside the church, the sumptuous decoration highlights religious themes; they recount the life of the Virgin Mary, Christ and the Saints, and represent the great stories of the Bible. Everything was done to accommodate, dazzle, amaze, convince and reassure the faithful. Masses are held here regularly.

Gallery

Services & Équipment

Equipment

  • Public WC
  • Parking

Services

  • Guided individual tours
  • Unguided group tours
  • Guided group tours
  • Tour free of charge
  • Guided tours
  • Unguided individual tours

Informations pratiques

Surroundings

Near shuttle stop

Mountain view

Close to a public transportation

Village centre

Ski resort